Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Fernweh


Fernweh is a German word that means the opposite of Heimweh.
Heimweh can easily be translated into homesickness. Fernweh is an aching for foreign places. I have been suffering from one or the other my entire life, and right now I am experiencing Fernweh for Korea.

I just can't wait to go to Korea!
Not only because when we go to Korea we will be adding a member to our family, but also because I can't wait to see the country that I have been reading so much about over this past year.

I love to travel, and have not done any international travel since I came to the US over 5 years ago (other than going home to Germany twice, and that doesn't count). I so can't wait to be immersed in another culture, albeit it will only be for a week. While I'd love to stay longer when we go, we won't be able to take custody of our child until the last day in Korea, and completing our family takes priority over sightseeing. Of course the German in me wants to stay for at least a month, but I guess the American and most of all the mother in me will prevail.

I'm already thinking of things to do while we are there. Yes that is crazy since we still have such a long time to go!

One thing I would love to do is take a Korean cooking class. It kind of combines my two passions in life - travel and food. There can't be a better way to learn about Korean cooking than in Korea. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Seriously, I am so ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment